Applicants for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or
Handgun Purchase Permit
- Go to: https:/www.njportal.com/njsp/FARS follow instruction and complete the application, Readington Twp residents only will need to enter the following ORI # to complete the application.
- All first-time applicants for a Firearms ID Card MUST be fingerprinted. The fingerprint process will be completed by IdentoGO. The new online system, (FARS), will auto-fill a form for you to take with you to get fingerprinted. The information on where to go is on the form. You will need a printer.
- If you have already been issued a Firearms ID card or permit to purchase a handgun in New Jersey, you will need to enter your SBI# which is found on the front of your firearms ID card. If you do not have your SBI# you must contact the Readington Township Police or the NJ State Police Firearms unit to receive your SBI# to complete your application.
- If you are applying for a Handgun Purchase Permit, there is no limit on the quantity of permits you may apply for; however, you may only purchase one handgun every 30 days, unless you qualify for an exemption, under N.J.S. 2C:58-3. Applications for multiple handgun purchases are to be submitted to the NJSP Firearms unit through FARS at the time you apply for your Handgun Permits.
- The following fees are due PRIOR TO the commencement of your background investigation:
- FID Card - $50 payable to Readington Township
- Permit to Purchase Handgun - $25 per permit, payable to Readington Township
- Payments can be made by in the following ways:
- Money Order - Hand delivered or mailed to: Readington Township Police Department 507 County Route 523, Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889
- Credit Card - Payment can be made with a credit card by clicking the following link: Municipay
- We do not accept cash, check or credit card payment at police headquarters.
- Please advise your references that the FARS System will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions ASAP so that your background investigation is not delayed.
- The on-line application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the BEST phone numbers for yourself AND references as well as the BEST email addresses for yourself and references.
- Once the application process is complete, you will receive an email notifying you of the the outcome.
- Applicants that have been approved will receive an Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID) and/or an Electronic Permit to Purchase a Handgun (E-PERMIT) from the New Jersey State Police.
The previously issued yellow Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards are still valid and are still accepted at all NJ Licensed Firearms Dealers and do not have to be replaced.
ELECTRONIC FIREARMS PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARD (E-FID): Applicants that apply for an Initial Card, a Replacement Card (Lost, Stolen, Mutilated), Change of Address, Change of Name, or Change of Sex will receive an email from NJ Firearms System-NJ Portal (NJ State Police) advising that your application was approved. In the email will be a link to download the E-FID and an Access Key that allows you to download the E-FID Card. The Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card will be available to download for one year from date of issue. Please ensure that you print and save a copy for your records. If you do not download the E-FID card within the year you will need to apply for a replacement ID Card which will result in additional application fees on the FARS Site and an additional background investigation by the Readington Township Police Department as required by NJ State Law.
ELECTRONIC PERMIT TO PURCHASE A HANDGUN (E-PERMIT) When an application is approved, the applicant will receive an email from NJ Firearms System-NJ Portal (NJ State Police) advising of the approval of the Permits to Purchase Handguns. The email will not contain the actual E-PERMIT. It just advises the applicant that the E-PERMIT has been approved. The actual E-PERMIT is contained on the NJ State Police FARS Site and can be activated by any NJ Licensed Firearms Dealer at time of purchase. E-PERMITS have the same expiration period as the former paper permits (90 days from date of approval, with a renewal period of an additional 90 days). Once 180 days have passed since the E-PERMIT was issued, the E-PERMIT is no longer valid and cannot be renewed.
Improperly prepared applications may delay the processing of your application. All fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-TRANSFERABLE. You may be contacted by the Readington Township Police if there is a question or concern with your application which requires more information. Please ensure you provide the best phone number to reach you to help expedite this process.
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you