READINGTON TOWNSHIP POLICE RECRUITMENT PLAN (2023)
GOALS and OBJECTIVES:
The goal of the Readington Police Department Recruitment Plan is to attract qualified individuals to pursue a career with the Readington Police Department. The objective is to achieve an overall racial and gender composition of the department in comparison to the service population through the departments recruiting activities. This agency will make a good faith effort to meet specific goals for recruiting a diverse workforce, in terms of people of color and gender diversity. The goals and objectives will be accomplished through various recruitment activities listed in the Recruitment Activities section of this plan.
The Readington Police Department is subject to the provisions of New Jersey Statutes Annotated 40A:14-118, et seq. and municipal ordinance in all facets of the recruitment and selection process. The Readington Police Department recruits from a candidate pool open to all residents of New Jersey. Readington is an equal opportunity employer in all facets of the personnel process.
The demographics composition of the service area (according to 2021 Census Bureau estimate) and agency are represented in the following:
- Every member is charged with actively recruiting individuals they feel are qualified with the potential to be an asset to the Department. The Chief of Police or Director of Public Safety is responsible for the administration of the Recruitment Plan.
- This agency will take a proactive role in programs intended to attract qualified people to apply for a position with the Readington Police Department. These programs include but are not limited to:
- Establishing and maintaining contacts with police academy’s, community organizations and educational institutions and providing recruitment materials for display and distribution.
- Posting hiring announcement on the department website, in local newspapers and on the NJ League of Municipalities website.
- Utilizing the PoliceAPP.com website for applications and communications.
- Particular attention should be paid to attracting candidates in approximate proportion to the racial, ethnic, and gender composition of the available workforce in the town.
- The following information should prove useful when participating in recruitment activities:
- Recruitment/informational brochures
- Agency organizational chart
- Current contractual agreements
- Demographic data
- Police Officer Hiring Announcement
- General Employment Applications
- Laptop to Access PoliceApp.com
ANNUAL REVIEW, EVALUATION AND REPORTING
- The Chief of Police, or designee, shall conduct an annual review of the Recruitment Plan and shall include, but not limited to, performing an annual agency demographic review, determining whether any substantial disparities have been reduced, and if need be, revising the Recruitment Plan accordingly if the goals and objectives are not met.
- J.S.A. 52:17B-4.10 et seq requires that each law enforcement agency must report certain law enforcement applicant data annually by January 31st for the preceding year. The data required to be reported is listed in the New Jersey Attorney General Guideline “Promoting Diversity in Law Enforcement Recruiting and Hiring” in Paragraph III.